A surprising main dish made of savory curried bananas, served with white rice. Better than you would expect. The bananas are the main ingredient and you can very much taste them and smell them in the final dish and yet it's as far from dessert as any other main course.
Try it whenever you want a fast and light meal.
Recipe source: here.
Last year: Simple broccoli, artichoke and bechamel souffle.
Two years ago: Moroccan preserved lemons (vegan).
Three years ago: Black olive dip (French Tapenade) and Concentrated orange juice caramel (vegan).
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2-3 tablespoons peanut oil (or walnut, or canola)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 ripe (but not over-ripe) bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 of a green chili, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dry cilantro
- some plain basmati rice to serve
Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the dry spices (cumin, ginger, curry, coriander and turmeric) and stir around, frying them:
When the mix becomes brown and fragrant, add the bananas, sliced, and the chopped green chili:
Fry them around until softened, mixing well but careful not to crush them, for 2-3 minutes. Also add the salt and cilantro and mix. Remove from the fire:
Serve over plain boiled basmati rice. It's done, dig in! :)